Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sibling thinking

I love sibling rivalry. It always worked for me, never against me. My older sister, in an unsual move (very typical of her) decided to take the role of rebel, independant thinker, the baddy, despite the fact that she was the oldest child.

This left the role of goodie-goodie to me, and I exploited it fully. Most second children are forced into the baddy role by virtue of the fact that goodie-goodie was sewn up long before they came along. Not me.

My oldest sister became an artist, of course. Got divorced, if you can believe that. Then she became an aeronautical engineer and an early roboticist so her fall from grace was as permanent as it was catastrophic. Now she lives in Mexico and is an artist again. (You can see her work on the mafonga glassworks link to the right of my blog.)

The picture here is of my three children. The oldest is to the right looking hopeful. The second child is to the front, looking confident. The youngest is on the left looking like she's enjoying herself.

When they were young they had sibling rivalry issues. I always tried to play them off one against the other seeking maximum advantage for myself. At some point they figured it out and wound up best friends, and that's just wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This picture makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

I think the part that you said Zoot is enjoying herself is very cute.