Saturday, April 7, 2007

Teacher thinking


Some years ago someone directed me to a site where students can rate their teachers.

I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. I found myself nervously, and read the comments. Overall I come out okay, but some of them hurt. "He is absentminded" stung a little bit until I forgot who the pronoun "he" was referring to in this instance. "He teaches computer science but couldn't turn on the computer." Ouch. Do they have to be turned on? I thought that was automatic. Where did I go wrong?

Fortunately or otherwise, teachers don't have a comparable web page. If they did, most students would be rated really really well. I believe that. All the kids I've ever taught have been great.

But still, kids, you can't always tell how you come across to your teachers. Sometimes, if teachers left comments, the comments might make you wince. They might also help you see yourself as others see you, which is what I like about ratemyteachers.com, even when it stings a bit.

How sad that there is no comparable page for you to go to to see what teachers are thinking.

Don't click the title of this blog unless you can't stop yourself. Then, little moth, close your eyes and go for it.

No comments: