Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Renard thinking

I saw a red fox when I was about 11 years old. It was trotting through London on its way from one park to another. It looked perfectly at home, checked for traffic before crossing the street, didn't pay much attention to the passers-by. Only I thought he was unusual, as far as I could tell. Perhaps he was visible only to me.

According to Wikipedia there are over 20 million of them scattered around the world. I spent an afternoon north Aarhus, Denmark a few years ago in a forest with a fox warren right there - all sorts of entries and exits scattered about. Despite my efforts to blend into the background and be invisible I saw no foxes. They out-invisible'd me.

Like a fox, the rest of this blog will seem to be invisible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I spent an afternoon in Aarhus, Denmark a few years ago, too.

Molly said...

not entirely invisible I hope. I've enjoyed your thoughtful writing.

thinking...thinking...thinking said...

Thanks, Molly. Your blog is beautiful! All those flowers... wow...

fiona-h said...

hey - I can't leave a comment on the chimp one - the comment link isn't there... strange. Anyhoo, very interesting post. Have you heard of laughter yoga? I don't know if it's a completely new thing, but it is new to me. My sister-in-law has started teaching it. Apparently it's quite the scene makes it pretty clear that laughter is contagious.