Monday, April 16, 2007

Green thinking


Green is a good color, despite Kermit's whingeing about how hard it is to be green. (That is the British spelling of the word "whining." The British spelling "whingeing" looks more like it's whining than the other, do you not agree?)

Green is natural and indicates a healthy environment. But actually now that I've said that, there is a strange greenish pallor that comes over the faces of the really really seasick that doesn't look so good.

Green is often natural and usually indicates a healthy environment. When the sunlight drips through the canopies of leaves in my back garden the light becomes a soft, inhalable green, cool, refreshing, calming.

Green is de riguer today. We have finally got it, that we've screwed the planet up pretty badly and it's time to re-think our basic approach. This is a very desirable thing.

Take a look at World Change, which is filled with ideas about how we can be green using the technology we already have. I am not sure what to make of the announcement at the top of their home web page that the domain worldchange.org is for sale, followed by two telephone numbers you can call if you want to buy it. I don't want to buy it, but I called one of the numbers. I reached BuyDomain.com and spoke to Chris. He offered to sell me the domain name worldchange.org for $2,700. I asked if the domain name came with all the content included and he allowed as to how it did not.

I wonder if "they" will recycle the content? Or at least composte it? I am wondering what the composting of virtual stuff produces, and what it would fertilize. If they don't recycle or composte it, will they just drop it all in the trash bin for somebody else to worry about? Ship it to India, I'll bet, or China.

That is silly, of course. But you do have to wonder where ideas go when nobody is thinking them any more. And where "content" goes when it's gone. And what the owners of worldchange.org will do with their share of the $2,700 from BuyDomain.com. It seems a very small amount of money.

But then, one mustn't whinge about that. Money, after all, is green.



No comments: