Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sedentary thinking

I confess that I am overly fond of a sedentary life. It is not an entirely desirable addiction , having perils of its own.

I notice that the less I do the less I want to do, and the closer to death I feel. This wonderful chair is a pretty good metaphor.

I think I will do something different tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will attempt to have an affair.... No, I won't. I don't want to have an affair. It would trouble my wife, which I don't want to do, and it would be far too much work. The reward no longer seems worth the labor. My wife, on the other hand, is worth the labor.

Tomorrow I will quit my job... No, I won't. I love my job and I have never been happier working anywhere. The people are interesting, smart, funny and I care about them a lot. And they care about me.

Tomorrow I will eat something I've never eaten before. Hmmm... let me think about that. What haven't I eaten... I've done duck's tongues, fish ovaries, snake, jellyfish... I haven't eaten scorpions but I don't know anywhere in Honolulu that serves them. Does anybody anywhere eat scorpions? Note to self - look for a menu with scorpions on it, tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will take up long-distance running again. Shouldn't be too hard, I used to do it a lot... Maybe I won't. A guy my age could have a heart attack.... But I'm going to drive four miles every day!

Tomorrow I'll join a cult religion and give my entire being over to Divine Mother... but Divine Mother spent her formative years as one of the toughest divorce lawyers in town, embracing sanctity only when the previous Divine Mother had the grace to kick the bucket and leave a VACANCY. My cycnicism might prevent my attaining nirvana. Poop.

Note to self: tomorrow, do some serious research about things to do.

No comments: